DPI are device through which a dry powder formulation of an active drug is Delivered for local of systemic effect via the pulmonary route.
Used to treat respiratory disease such as asthma, COPD, Bronchitis etc.
Dry power for inhalation is formulated either as loose agglomerates of micronized drug Particle with aerodynamic particles size less than 5µm
Whereas for systemic effects particle size of less than 2 µm needed for drug deposition in the small peripheral airways.
WHY DPI LINE?
A dry powder inhaler lets you breathe medicine into your lungs quickly. Inhaled medicine works faster than the same medicine in a pill.
- Propellants free design
- Provides rapid drug action
- High drug dose carrying capacities, reproducibility (Monodisperse)
- Low device retention and low Exhaled loss.
- Provides local action within the respiratory tract and are non-invasive.
- Better patient compliance, simple to use and convenient to carry and do not require spacer.
- Less potential for formulation problems.