DPI are device through which a dry powder formulation of an active drug is Delivered for local of systemic effect via the pulmonary route.
Used to treat respiratory disease such as asthma , COPD , Bronchitis etc .
Dry powder for inhalation is formulated either as loose agglomerates of micronized drug Particle with aerodynamic particles size less than 5µm
Whereas for systemic effects particle size of less than 2 µm needed for drug deposition in the small peripheral airways.
WHY DPI LINE?
A dry powder inhaler lets you breathe medicine into your lungs quickly. Inhaled medicine works faster than the same medicine in a pill.
- Propellants free design
- Provides rapid drug action
- High drug dose carrying capacities, reproducibility (Monodisperse)
- Low device retention and low Exhaled loss.
- Provides local action within the respiratory tract and are non-invasive.
- Better patient compliance, simple to use and convenient to carry and do not require spacer.
- Less potential for formulation problems.